Sunday, March 17, 2013

Where are all the women?




A full page of the magazine was dedicated to this advertisement for the Massachusetts Media Expo.  What I noticed, off the bat, was that every person in the photograph was a white man playing with traditional forms of technology.  Exactly the opposite of what I had been hoping to find.

As I thought about the women that the men in this advertisement would be filming, I read a USA Today article about the role of women in film.  “An analysis of the 100 top-grossing movies of 2008 shows that men had 67% of the speaking roles; women had about half that, 33%.  Men also were far more likely to work behind the camera. For every five male directors, writers or producers, there was one female.” (Hellmich, 2011).  

When I transformed the Massachusetts Media Expo I decided to call it what the ad portrayed it as, the Massachusetts Men’s Expo.  In my revised version of the advertisement I also turned two of the men into women standing, scantily clad, in front of camera’s while men hiding behind screens and glasses looked on.

No comments: