Sunday, March 10, 2013

Transformation Project





  1. The first image I chose is from a blog of Institute for Health Technology Transformation.
  2. The second image of a telescope is from a USAID blog. 
Today, our life seem to be involved in the most astonishing technological leaps. However, staggering bias towards usage or involvement of both female and male gender with the technology is prevalent. I chose these two images because I think they can provoke an interesting and thought provoking discussion. 
The first image I chose is more of an example of a cyborg that Donna Haraway articles discussed in detail. This image has a head of a human male doctor shown through a computer screen attached to a robotic body wearing the doctor’s gown, a stethoscope hanging from the neck, and a badge hanging from the pocket. I remixed and changed the male head with a female head from a JC Penney catalog. I researched to find a similar image with a female face but all the research was in vain. Moreover, all the images and research articles I came across had an overt bias against female gender showing their weaker abilities in the areas of Mathematics and analysis.  
http://ihealthtran.com/wordpress/category/articles/



The second image that I chose is of a person behind a telescope. I cropped the image to see if people can guess the gender of the person behind the telescope. 
I like when Donna Haraway writes, “I do not know of any other time in history when there was greater need for political unity to confront effectively the dominations of 'race', 'gender', 'sexuality', and 'class'.” This resonates with what I have seen through my experience and research. What comes to the mind of the viewer? As one of Latterell’s question asks, ‘How does it impact you?’ (Latterell, p.576). Is it surprising to think of this image as a technology if a female was behind the telescope than a male or vice a versa?  Additionally, if a Christian nun was behind the telescope with her head covered and in a nun’s dress, would that be considered oppressed technology or would it be more of a symbol of purity in technology and analysis?  Who do you think is behind the telescope in the above image, a male or a female, and how did you reach this answer? 





No comments: