Sunday, March 10, 2013

"Vending Models" by May Chau

Re-Mix Assignment –
“Models Vending Machine” – 2013 by May Chau.

             After reading Haraway’s manifesto, I decided to take the idea of being a goddess instead of a cyborg.  I thought about the culture that we live in today, and juxtaposed imagery of models, ready-made “miracle” foods, and a computerized -generated woman from bits and bytes.  I wanted to express how women can get caught up with the notion of “instant” beauty.   I decided to use the bits and bytes to show how the cyborg   has reprogrammed herself to represent the ideal figure.
            I took four images to make this remix.  I wanted to show the idea of a vending machine that was dispensing beauty.  I thought the text on the instant health foods were appropriate in reflecting this notion of this quick transformation for a mere few dollars. The cyborg is looking at herself in transformation when she consumes these healthy, miracle foods.  I chose to use the image of the vending machine to demonstrate the idea of not having to make a large ordeal in preparing healthy foods when all is needed is a bucket of change.  It's that easy.



No comments: