Monday, April 13, 2009

YOU SEE WOMAN AND THAT'S ALL YOU SEE

YOU SEE WOMAN AND THAT'S ALL YOU SEE

looking for a way to be free
a way to let out the artist trapped inside me
PROUD, STRONG,
i walk with power
when i walk, i let every stride define me.

I know there well be a struggle
Challenges i am willing to accept
but i wont let it consume me.
Tears come and i let them flow
Baptize me, cleanse me, free me.

I wake up every morning to embrace my life
putting in the work and eager to see where it takes me
so much substance, so much beauty
Amazingly complicated but
you see woman, and that's all you see

i am proud, i know what i want
i work hard, i wont compromise my integrity.
I'm not like the others,
sensitivity, sincerity
it all defines me
i am not empty, but
you see woman, and that's all you see.

ohh my eyes, my skin, my hair
my lips, oooohhh I'm a tall tall beauty
throw me a bone and pretend its the artist you feed.
tell me I'm amazingly interesting
when your intentions are to cheat and manipulate me
you even make me think you respect me!
you see woman and that's all you see

afraid withdrawn confused
almost feeling like you have defeated me
lost in my own misery
where you have mentally and emotionally raped me
crossing boundaries when you saw vulnerability and
you force yourself on me.

Proud? Strong?
you left me searching for my gravity
cheating me and intern, i cheating myself
because in all this i was too blind to see
you sick bastard, who is she
who gave birth to such a perverted entity
does she know you see woman,
and that's all you see

not defeated, not broken
staying determined and not staying angry
freeing the artist trapped inside me

Proud!, Strong!
i walk with power
when i walk, i let every stride define me
i know there will be a struggle
Challenges i am willing to accept
But i wont let it consume me
Baptize me, cleanse me, free me
I am a woman but that doesn't define me

Rosedelma Seraphin

1 comment:

Laurene Ifergan said...

Wow! Amazingly powerful poem. Beautiful. It reminds me of Maya Angelou's poetry, especially Phenomenal woman. I love the repetition and subtle changes of the the beginning verses at the end. You are a great poet, keep it up.