Sunday, April 12, 2009

Nature's full of choices. Why balance a crazy day with fast food?





















I chose to remix this advertisement found in the latest issue of Glamour because it promotes a fast food chain, Sonic, by making it seem like a healthy diet. It is ironic that the ad appears in Glamour, a magazine full of healthy diet and beauty tips. This is exactly what female readers should not be eating. The message “Just because your day is crazy, doesn’t mean your diet has to be” is in complete contradiction with the image of these women eating fast food in a car. For me, that is having a crazy diet and not taking the time to take a break from a busy schedule and eat right. I changed the image to have the girls eating apples and drinking water instead of Sonic sandwiches and probably soda. Since I could not find adequate pictures in a magazine, I took photos of a bitten apple and a water bottle and printed them out in a size to fit the ad. In order to place the new food and drink into the girls’ hands and cover the seat belts with the same t-shirt fabric they have on, I used an extra color photocopy of the ad to cut out the hands and t-shirts and glue them onto my remix. I also created a green outdoor setting with blue sky, plants, trees and grass from magazine and postcard cut outs. Although the meal choices at the bottom of the original ad seem healthier than most fast foods, they are still mass produced, processed foods. Instead, I offer a balanced natural meal consisting of items from each food group. I changed the slogan “Life’s full of choices. Who gives you more than Sonic?” to “Life’s full of choices. Who gives you more than nature?” in order to show that nature offers much tasitier and healthier eating options. Personally, I eat all natural products and mostly prepare my own meals because I believe in the short and long term health benefits of eating well. Because the majority of the population (including Glamour readers) thinks nothing of eating fast and processed food, I would like to inform my audience that eating healthy does not depend on what a product is called such as “grilled chicken wrap” but on where the food comes from and how it is prepared.

Laurene


No comments: