Saturday, April 11, 2009

United States of Ageism



















A friend of mine once recommended that when I look and the mirror and see wrinkles, not to despair about growing older; but instead, to remember the wonderful and varied experiences I have had in my life. In flipping through magazines to find an advertisement for this project, I couldn’t believe how many were centered on reducing the signs of aging and having flawless skin. This Clinique ad was particularly offensive to me, as it implied that looking–and thereby being–40 years old is terrible and should be combated using “youth surge age decelerating moisturizer”. As I grow older, I have begun to notice the prevalence of ageism in our society. There seems to be a high value placed on being and looking young and beautiful, yet older people have a wealth of experiences and knowledge, which should hold a higher value than appearances alone. Additionally, advertisements such as this one emphasize spending time and money to achieve this youthful appearance by giving skin cells a “long and happy life” instead of focusing on the things in life that truly make us happy. I created this remix project with the intent of turning ageism on its head; to illustrate the importance of embracing life by spending our time (and resources) with family, friends, enjoying excellent food and music, traveling, engaging in activism, learning, and loving with all of our hearts.

By Sharon W.

No comments: