Monday, March 31, 2008

SAVING FACE

Lunching on injectables and lasers is not my reality, or most women I know. I have too much on my plate for that. Instead of fine restaurants, I dine desktop. My eating is unconscious and buried under a sea of post-its--today's lists. (To prepare for this remix I also consulted with my mother about her working days). Saving Face is not about rescuing myself from the signs of aging, but about clearing my plate and being prepared. Losing Face is the risk of discovery that I do not have it ALL together!
This ad is another example of how the media indirectly harnesses the energy of women towards obsessing on physical perfection. Now, not only should women surrender their power to diets and scales, but also to lasers and other high tech injectables. Second, this is one more ad that recommends denial of the sensual, natural body by skipping lunch and, instead, replacing it with the latest "rejuvenation procedures." This led me to wondering about the class of individuals "who lunch" on china, white linen and wine. Have they nowhere else to be, no other priorities? Saving face seems not how something could have been done better, but about rescuing your face "before it is too late." As stated in another ad, "To hide my real age and to get away with it."
The irony is not lost on me. Stress is the wear and tear of living, and the same magazine is full of dos and don'ts for women such as "Bake it. Decorate it.
Hang it. Give it. Watch it." At the same time, women are expected to do all that and more and still look dewy and rested. Just inject those cares away!
I like that the new scene, even in its chaotic state, is warm, with an injection of humor. This is not to be insensitive to the issues of women, but to represent how I typically save face--relationally and through humor! I also stuck on a post-it passed down
from my mother--go for a walk....
Nancy Jo


No comments: