Monday, March 31, 2008

Let the Truth be Shown

(Original advertisement)











(Remixed Advertisment)



Many cigarette ads still don't tell you right away that their product is harmful eventhough it is common knowledge. They still choose to advertise it as a "hip" thing to do. In my remix, I took the truth and made the young woman in the ad look as she would look if she continued on the path of smoking. Burning and scarring her face, changing the color of her complexion. The ad was originally 2 pages in the magazine. The Surgeon General's Warning was originally on the second page. I copied it and pasted it 4 times on the first page. I just felt that the warning should be on the first page and duplicated many times for readers to get the picture. I created smoke like words, "cancer", "death" and "pain" to blend in with the smoke.
I had picked a couple of other advertisements along with this one, but I really felt a connection to this one. Not only because I was surprised that there were still cigarette advertisements, but because it still depicts a “love” and “carefree” lifestyle. I was never drawn in by advertisements. In fact, the advertisements have always drawn me away from cigarettes. This is an addiction. It’s not supposed to be wonderful or smooth. It kills and destroys families. My best friend lost her father to lung cancer a couple of years ago. Her family has been turned upside down ever since. I was there when she brought her father to chemo treatments. I was there when he went through surges of good days and bad days. I was there to experience it all. I wanted this remix to be an awakening to others and to myself the horror of smoking.

No comments: