Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Exercise Your Mind


















When I saw the photo on the left in a fitness magazine at the gym, I felt that this is not a realistic representation of women, or those who exercise. She is almost too thin too represent exercise authentically. Magazines and the media seem to always show a thin woman in exercise photos. Why is that? Is that what you're really going to look like after doing their 5 "simple steps?"
So I decided to add some meat to this model, and make her seem a bit more realistic. I changed the caption from "show it" to "stretch it" to play on words in the exercise world, but to make a statement that by stretching her I am producing a more realistic body size.
I think if magazines showed real women in a variety of sizes for articles like this, it can work just the same if not better to reach out to the diverse population of body types who read these articles. And maybe showing photos women can better relate too might even inspire some.

-Carrie P.

No comments: