Monday, March 24, 2008

D&G?



I chose to remix a Dolce & Gabbana advertisement for a purse. Pictured in the ad, there is a woman reclining on a couch with her D&G bag in hand, as though she doesn't have a care in the world. In my remix, I used Photoshop to reposition her in  a swamp-like area, still lying on her couch. In the background I added a polluting factory and some explosions. I chose to remix this advertisement in this way as a comment on the frivolous fashion industry. In my opinion, there are so many things going on in the world to be concerned about instead of which label is on your over-priced purse. The fashion industry creates these items, charges way too much money for them and what contribution do they make towards the good of society? Instead of using their popularity to benefit those less fortunate, or helping with bigger issues like pollution, global warming, disease research, etc, the industry is concerned with selling expensive things.

Amy Sheaffer

No comments: