Thursday, April 12, 2007

the power of editing


I have always found it interesting the way women are portrayed in fashion magazines. In this particular issue of vogue, I was intrigued by the way they were portrayed in nature. They are visions of frail pixies that seem confused and helpless in their poofey dresses and high heels that would be difficult to walk in nature. The expressions displayed on their faces are blank and depressed. They are very concerned about what the viewer is observing about them. I am a lover of nature. I grew up in Maine, and have always been surrounded by it. I am an avid mountain, road cyclist as well as a commuter. In the remix of this portrayal, I wanted to show that there is more to do in nature than stand there and look pretty.

In the collage, I am racing my bike at an event in New Hampshire. I chose this image because I was smiling and had a blast that day.I didn't care what was happening around me, a feeling I get when I ride. Nothing else matters in the world. The wafer thin models appear even more lifeless to me as I zoom past their ruffles and bows.


~Suzi T

No comments: