Monday, March 10, 2014

The Land of Great Expectations: Another American Dream

After




Before






              There are so many angles to look at regarding gender, but I chose to focus on what it means to be an "American Woman in modern times" as I know it to be. The ad I found for a salon in The Improper Bostonian was as close to perfect for this project as I could have hoped for. 
              Here we have a woman who looks like she fits the standard of an "ideal woman"- she's physically attractive, well groomed, and can afford to get her (already gorgeous) hair done at a Boston salon. From there I considered the human anxieties and goals of today's (American) women and placed them below the hair, as if they were being washed out. I was happy to recycle the slogan as well, because it works just as well in this new scenario.

Sources:
  • Google Images
  • The Improper Bostonian
  • Boys and Girls Names for your Baby

No comments: