Sunday, February 10, 2013

Powerful Image


The image I have chosen is from the movie Black Swan, a psychological thriller which follows a ballerina named Nina competing for the position of prima ballerina in a production of Swan Lake.

As the principal dancer in this production, Nina is required to play both the role of the White Swan, which, as the picture of innocence she is perfectly suited for, and the Black Swan, a much darker role that she has trouble channeling. However, as time goes on and she becomes more and more consumed by the performance, she seems to embody the Black Swan more than the White. In this scene as Nina dances, her eyes burn red and black feathers begin to cover her body; her arms become her wings, and you can almost feel the darkness take her over.

I have always been drawn to dance, and images of dancers. They are simultaneously the personification of both grace and physical strength. They are able to convey emotion so beautifully without ever using words, only body language. I'm not sure that this image can truly convey the emotion that this dancer is exhibiting since it's not the best quality image (I apologize!), but I remember tearing up in the theater as she struck that final pose. Everything about it is beautiful: the way she is framed, the lighting, her bold and confident body language. The energy within her is so palpable, is seems that if you were to touch her, she'd explode.

I included a gif file below to give you a better idea of that final pose. (I don't really like gifs because they make me dizzy, but this was the closest I could find to a higher quality image.)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvc3x84aHA1r2gjllo1_500.gif

-Jamie

No comments: