Friday, February 8, 2013

Powerful Image

I selected images from the movie The Fall; the first is a high quality screen shot, and the second is a screen capture from my own computer. (I really prefer the second, but I was unsure if its quality really did it justice; I hope the first can inform the second a bit!)

To me, both communicate the vastness of the dessert in the shot. The main characters (whom the viewer has just interacted with, close-up) are like pinheads on the sand, and the bright oranges and blues of the hot, harsh environment are beautiful but menacing. These images do a great job of literally swallowing the main characters in the dessert.

This is very appropriate for the film, because a lot of its premise is focused on a paralyzed, bed-ridden man in the hospital explaining to a little girl (whose first language is not English) what happened to him. He does so by telling her a fictional story about a hero (himself, in disguise) and his journey for revenge and (unrequited) love. Seems like starting off in a dessert is a great way for this man to begin to explore and express his current state.

-Alicia




No comments: