Saturday, February 21, 2009

that new york post thing

jay smooth..brilliant as always..
although he doesn't talk about the media response to the New York post monkey cartoon, he does address the image of the monkey cartoon and the New York Post in a great way.
Also take a look at the UK Guardian summation of the cartoon and its aftermath for a picture of the image and more references. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/18/new-york-post-cartoon-race

-sam smiley



ADDENDUM:
Turns out Rupert Murdoch (same guy who owns FOX news) also owns the parent company of the NY post. Here for posterity is his apology..but if you click the link I just included..look out for LOTS of advertising on his apology page.

As the Chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me.

Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted.

Over the past couple of days, I have spoken to a number of people and I now better understand the hurt this cartoon has caused. At the same time, I have had conversations with Post editors about the situation and I can assure you - without a doubt - that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation. It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such.

We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community.

No comments: