Friday, February 13, 2009

La Pendule/ The Pendula or "Time flies when you are having fun"

Retrieved February 13, 2009 from http://flickr.com/photos/manuelitro/2472979432/

I chose this image because it is by Robert Doisneau, one of my favorite photographers. He probably is the most famous French phographer of all time and, being French myself, his photography particularly speaks to me. I have a print of La Pendule cut out from an old calendar hanging on the wall above my desk. I have had this picture along with other Doisneau photographs for at least 4 or 5 years now. I think this one, taken in Paris in 1957, is particularly great because it really captures the atmosphere of this old fashioned classroom and the three boys' different behaviors. The boy in the front left has such a serious expression on his face that he looks like he just got reprimanded for something. The boys in the back are also hilarious to me; the one on the left seems either hypnotized by the lesson or zoning off into his own world while the one on the right, coiffed with a Tintin-like hairstyle, is writing while looking at the clock instead of the paper. I really like the detail that is visible on the boys' clothing which is characteristic of the time when younger children had to wear smocks which makes me think that the boy in the front is older as he is not wearing one. I also enjoy the framing of the photograph with the serious boy in the left corner of the foreground and the two other boys centered by the lines on the wall drawing a cross from the clock. This image makes me laugh every time I see it and reminds me of when I was bored in school looking at my watch or the clock. This is why I chose to give my post the ironic title "Time flies when you are having fun" as none of these boys seems to be enjoying himself in class.
Laurene.

No comments: