Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wii-Hab






I have played many video games in the past but on Christmas I experienced the Wii for the first time.I was intrigued by it and found myself tired after playing for a few hours. A few days ago I was in the car listening to the radio and heard the term Wii-Habilitaion. I laughed but then realized that the commentator was speaking about using Nintendo's Wii as a tool in the physical therapy field. When I got home, I researched it on the web and found that physical therapists across the country in hospitals, nursing homes and other clinics are using the Wii with patients to build up strength and coordination. Its fun and entertaining but it is also acting in another capacity as a form of therapy which must be a relief for patients because some physical therpy excerises are not only painful but repetitive and bland such as the bean bag toss. For the first time video games have a new function other than just entertainment.

*Melissa Ratliff*

No comments: