Monday, February 18, 2008

Top Drawer Gallery/Dead Cat Gallery Night



This image is a painting by one of the artists whose work is shown at Top Shelf Gallery in East Providence, RI. My friends and I attended an opening at the gallery on Saturday Feb 16. Top Shelf is a non-profit that works with people with disabilities and the arts. Interested in outsider artists and the art of my students whom have numerous developmental delays I attended the show. My friend was also doing a documentary on the artist whose work was being shown for public awareness and to advertise for the gallery's funding. After this event I went to another gallery, The Dead Cat located in Providence we attended the gallery because there was a call for extras for a bar scene. The artist who was using the space used free drinks as an incentive on the flyer. What was interesting and yet not surprising is that no one was ever told what the scene was about, it was not on the flyer. As we stood there my friend asked someone what the scene was about and they described it as a rape scene with a man walking a woman who was on heroine from the bathroom through the bar and into the backroom/bedroom. It sounded like a rape scene, we left offended. It was a night of pure contrast! To think that we were in the background of a documentary earlier that night that was for "the cause" then could of been shot in the background of a scene that was violent. I have yet to find out what the film was about that night at the deadcat but asking around.
www.topdrawerartcenter.org
jess

No comments: