Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sex Sells.. ?



I found this ad in the March 2010 issue for Marie Claire on page 29. I still don't really know what the company was, or what they were trying to advertise in this picture. I can only imagine a male photographer directing the photo shoot, and trying to persuade the girl models to "get closer", snapping the picture, and thinking how "hot" it looks. Because sex sells, right? But would it be that "hot" if there were two boys this close? How about two sexually androgynous people? Would it sell that many products? Would Marie Claire allow that company to buy their ad space? This is where I think it starts to become a bit hairy...











In transforming this advertisement, I wanted to keep that same "sex appeal" that the photographer had captured in the original photo. However, this time I wanted the models to be a little bit ambiguous in their gender; keeping some aspects of their femininity, but also having male characteristics as well. Is this ad still capable to sell a product? Or is exploiting one specific gender, in the original case, the female gender, only really acceptable? Perhaps this is a blurry topic to most, and to many companies trying to push the limits in getting their product noticed. I wanted to portray this through the rough, uneven, unpolished look of my ad.



What type of sexuality do we as a culture feel comfortable selling?

No comments: