Sunday, February 21, 2010

The power of documentary photography


I have been drawn to documentary photography and film-making for as long as I can remember. To me these artforms provide some of the most poignant and honest images in the world of art. Documentary photography captures a sense of place, and in doing so plays an important role in the interpretation and development of culture.

This is why I chose this image of a child in Cambodia, captured by photographer Michael Cirelli.

I am particularly drawn to images that capture quieter moments and honest landscapes which tell the stories of individuals, places and things. These images capture a particular moment in time, they document history and culture and the human condition.

For me this is the power of the image. Although thus far our investigations in this class have focused on the power of the image to influence and persuade populations. I find another distinct power of the image is to document people and places as they are. To me, the power of the image is multi-dimensional.

As famous documentary photographer Dorothea Lange noted:
“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” (American documentary photographer, 1895-1965)



Please see more of Michael Cirelli's work at:

Michael Cirelli Photography/ www.michaelcirelli.com


-Angela Lembke

No comments: