Saturday, February 15, 2014

Who do you see?

Jimmy Armstrong the dwarf, Clyde Beatty Circus, New Jersey, 1958. Photograph by Bruce Davidson.


I saw this image while I was reading Lapham’s Quarterly, Comedy. Comedy, for me, should be something makes you happy and laugh. And clowns are the ones to bring happiness to everybody. I was astounded when I saw this picture, because instead of happiness, all I can see is sorrow and loneliness. This image makes me think about what the meaning of happiness is, and how we can easily define someone is happy or not. Just like this clown, even though he showed his happiness and brought joy to the audience, how many people ever care about his true life behind the stage? How many people care about his probably tragedy story?

This picture was taken by Bruce Davidson, an American photographer. He described that when he took this picture, his camera shutter did not seem to disturb the clown. “He seemed to know that it was the inner moment I was drawn to and not his clown face or physical appearance.” Yes, it is the inner moment of the clown that makes this image so powerful.


http://www.dandy-club.com/2011/05/bruce-davidson-circus.html




No comments: